You brush two times a day, use mouthwash regularly, go to the dentist twice a year, and you even floss — some of the time. When it comes to oral hygiene, you’ve got it down…or do you? Here’s the deal: When it comes to oral hygiene, we have to think outside the mouth. And here’s why it matters: Your mouth is a mirror for overall health and disease, and poor oral health is linked to at least a dozen lethal health issues. In this episode of BioTrust Radio, we reveal 12 best practices for oral hygiene (and why you should be paying way more attention to it).
Ways to Listen:
Or Listen Here (press play below):
- Listen to it on iTunes or Stitcher.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “Save as.”
In this episode of BioTrust Radio, we’ll cover the shocking prevalence of oral health issues, the growing list of health problems that stem from inferior oral hygiene, the probably suspects at play, and top tips for good oral hygiene. Here’s what you can expect to learn about oral hygiene and health in this episode of BioTrust Radio:
- Your mouth is a mirror of the body, health, and disease, and oral hygiene goes way beyond a healthy mouth. Bad oral health can be a major indicator and predictor of disease and chronic health issues.
- As much as 90% of adult Americans has some degree of periodontal disease — a telltale sign of less-than-stellar oral hygiene.
- Oral hygiene goes way beyond clean teeth, as research shows that poor oral health is associated with several very serious health issues, such as:
- Gut dysbiosis
- Leaky gut
- Heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Respiratory infections
- Joint discomfort
- Mood issues
- Poor quality of life
- Adverse pregnancy outcomes
- Whether or not substandard oral hygiene practices cause these health issues remains to be determined. Nonetheless, it’s clear that bad oral hygiene is linked to these heal problems by way of factors like systemic inflammation, excessive oxidative stress, microbial dysbiosis (e.g., relatively too much pathogenic bacteria), mitochondrial dysfunction, and/or poor gut health.
- Simply put, oral hygiene goes way beyond brushing, flossing, and twice-a-year visits to the dentist’s office. When it comes to oral hygiene, we have to think “outside the mouth.”
- When it comes to dental plaque, which serves several very important purposes, it’s all about keeping it in a healthy state and supporting a healthy balance of bacteria in the oral microbiome. There’s a significant overlap between the oral microbiome and gut microbiome, and the former “seeds” the latter.
- Contrary to what you’ve been told, the goal of good oral hygiene is NOT to kill all the germs in your mouth.
- Here are some of our top tips for good oral hygiene:
- Oral hygiene practice #1: Brush your teeth (but skip typical toothpaste)
- Oral hygiene practice #2: Floss and/or use interdental brushes
- Oral hygiene practice #3: Clean your tongue
- Oral hygiene practice #4: AVOID antimicrobial mouthwashes
- Oral hygiene practice #5: Be careful with oil pulling
- Oral hygiene practice #6: Eat an anti-inflammatory diet
- Oral hygiene practice #7: Eat fermented foods and supplement with probiotics
- Oral hygiene practice #8: Feed gut bacteria with prebiotics
- Oral hygiene practice #9: Manage stress
- Oral hygiene practice #10: Prioritize restorative sleep and tape with your mouth
- Oral hygiene practice #11: Intermittent fasting
- Oral hygiene practice #12: Exercise regularly
We’ll cover all this on oral hygiene and more…Enjoy!
Products Mentioned in this Episode:
- Pro-X10 – Advanced Probiotics (including spore-forming Bacillus subtilis)
- MetaboGreens – Advanced Antioxidant and Prebiotic Support (including polyphenols)
Enjoy the show? Please leave a 5-star review on iTunes or Stitcher.
Don’t miss an episode of BioTrust Radio! Subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher.
Join our Private Facebook VIP Coaching & Inner Circle Community
Have a comment or question on this episode? Comment below.
And remember… you’re just one decision away from better health and a better body!
Resources from This Episode:
- Alvin Danenberg
- Crazy Good Living! Healthy Gums, Healthy Gut, Healthy Life by Dr. Danenberg
- Steven Lin
- Mark Burhenne
- TePe® interdental brushes
- 9 Scary Health Problems Caused by Poor Oral Hygiene [BT Blog]
- Anti-Inflammatory Diet: How to Fight Inflammation with Food [BT Blog]
- A Deep Dive into Intermittent Fasting (DON’T do THIS) [BT Radio #34]
- Leaky Gut Concerns? Avoid These 9 Common Causes [BT Blog]
- 5 Tactics To Boost Your Mitochondrial Health & Your Longevity [BT Blog]
- Are There Foods That Help Digestion? Yes, These 13 Do [BT Blog]
- What is Gut Flora? And Why is Gut Bacteria SO Important? [BT Blog]
- Is Adrenal Fatigue Real? (and what Is REALLY causing the fatigue) [BT Blog]
- Tired of Being Tired? It’s Time to Reset Your Circadian Clock [BT Blog]
- Best Cardio For Weight Loss: Steady State vs High Impact [BT Blog]
- Our Top 6 Exercises to Reduce Belly Fat [BT Blog]
Transcript – 12 Tips for Better Oral Hygiene
For the transcript to this episode, please see 9 Scary Health Problems Caused by Poor Oral Hygiene.