Well, hello there! It’s Joel, and I’m right in the middle of enjoying some fresh, homemade guacamole with gluten-free tortilla chips (made from rice flour). It sure is a nice, yummy, fat-burning snack—chockful of healthy fats—on a beautiful day here in Miami, Florida.
Now, most people don’t think of chips and guac as a fat-burning snack! Sure, they’re high in fat, but avocados are actually one of the healthiest fat-blasting foods around. In fact, the notion that eating fat makes you fat couldn’t be more wrong: eating fat—and lots of it—is a crucial part of achieving optimal health and the body you want.
1. When added to a meal, healthy fats slow the rate food empties from the stomach (known as gastric emptying) and helps stabilize blood sugar levels.
2. Healthy fats can also help increase feelings of fullness and satisfaction (called satiety) by stimulating the release of key hunger-suppressing hormones. What’s more, combining fat with high-fiber carbs (e.g., veggies) has been shown to further enhance the satiating power of fat.
3. Due to the above, eating fat also helps you avoid carb cravings (a major contributor to increased body fat levels).
4. Fat helps optimize your hormone levels, as a major player in your endocrine (hormone) system.
5. Fat, particularly this kind, contributes to healthier skin, hair, and a more youthful appearance. (Thank you very much!)
6. Fat also plays a critical role in your nervous system, giving you energy and keeping you alert. In fact, there is one particular fat that makes up 97% of all the fatty acids in your brain. If you want a healthy brain, make sure you’re getting plenty of this “super fat” every day.
7. Given the same calorie intake, by introducing more fat into your diet, you’ll automatically reduce your carb intake.
8. There are even certain types of fats, like conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which is found in grass-fed beef and organic dairy products, shown to boost metabolism, helping you burn calories faster.
When it comes to LOSING fat, EATING fat is king! So, and go ahead and indulge in a little chips and guacamole, guilt-free!