While it is well understood that using a quality probiotic supplement to support the proper balance of healthy bacteria in the GI tract can help virtually everyone optimize his/her overall health and physique, creating a supplement that delivers these health benefits can be tricky. The challenges include:
- Ensuring the delivery of live probiotics to the end user;
- Choosing the proper and most potent probiotic strains;
- Including a blend of strains that will optimize a wide range of health benefits;
- Providing a viable dose of each strain to ensure proper colonization in the GI tract;
- Supporting the proliferation of the probiotics with prebiotic nutrients; and
- Developing a formula that is stable at room temperature to enhance convenience of use and long-term viability.
During the development process for Pro-X10 we have taken all of these vital issues into consideration, and then some. Pro-X10 not only offers the common benefits of a typical probiotic formula, such as:
- Immune system support
- Healthy digestion
- Proper nutrient utilization
- Food sensitivity management
But through our use of unique strains and patented processing technologies, Pro-X10 also offers these unique benefits not found in other traditional probiotic formulas:
- Room temperature shelf stability
- Protection of live cells through the harsh stomach environment
- Soothing of bowel inflammation
- Improvement of dental health and bad breath
- Promotion of regularity
- Protection against salmonella, E. coli, candida, and other infections
- Support of enhanced fat loss
- Protection, and possible support for the regeneration, of intestinal cell lining
The following is a description of how the ingredients and processes used in the development of Pro-X10 support these benefits.
One of the greatest challenges to creating a truly effective probiotic formula is maintaining the viability of live probiotic cells. Because probiotics are living bacteria, they are very sensitive to the slightest change in environmental conditions. Even a modest elevation in temperature can kill these volatile cells over a short period of time. Research shows that after 1 year on the shelf, in a sealed bottle at room temperature, on average only 32% of conventionally-produced probiotics survive.1 And, of course, dead probiotics are completely worthless.
This issue is further compounded by the fact that the probiotics that do survive on the shelf are then decimated to a great degree as they move through the stomach. Research shows that the harsh acidic environment of the stomach kills off another 80% of the remaining probiotic cells.2
Knowing this challenge, we at Bio Trust sought out a means to stabilize the live cells, both on the shelf and through the stomach. One of the methods we employ to do so is as follows:
- Utilization of a patented cell stabilization technology called Microencapsulation.
- This technology encases the live cells in a lipid matrix, which protects the cells from oxygen, light, acids, bile, etc. Pictured here:
- By doing so we are able to enhance the survival of cells both on the shelf and through the stomach by 500%.3,4
- Graphical representation of the study results:
Yeast Saccharomyces boulardii
Although most probiotics are bacteria, the yeast Saccharomyces boulardii has been found to be an effective probiotic in several clinical studies. Experimental studies clearly demonstrate that S. boulardii has specific probiotic properties. We have included S. boulardii in our formula for the following reasons:
- It is shelf stable.
- This yeast is resistant to highly acidic environments, allowing it to survive the stomach environment and establish steady-state concentrations in the colon.
- S. boulardii is naturally resistant to antibiotic drugs. Thus, it can be taken during antibiotic treatment to help maintain healthy flora while treatment is in process. Research has shown its ability to do so by decreasing the development of diarrhea during antibiotic treatment.5 This also means that it will not be destroyed by the collateral antibiotics found in tap water, dairy products, meats, etc.
- S. boulardii provides unparalleled immune support, including a significant increase in immunological blood cell count and a decrease in systemic inflammation, even during periods of high stress.6
- It has been shown to help reduce “leaky gut” syndrome.7 This helps protect against allergic reactions, auto-immune responses, and systemic inflammation.
- Several studies indicate that Saccharomyces boulardii may exert a beneficial effect against various enteric pathogens such as Clostridium difficile, Vibrio cholerae, Salmonella, Shigella and E. coli. It has been shown to decrease the ability of these foreign bacteria to “take hold” and create their toxic effects.8
- S. boulardii has been shown to mitigate inflammation in acute colitis by inhibiting pro-inflammatory cytokine gene expression.9
- B. subtilis is unique in that it is a “spore forming” probiotic. Its probiotic spores remain dormant until ingested and therefore maintain full potency on the shelf at room temperature.
- Once ingested, spores pass through the stomach intact and germinate in the upper GI, significantly enhancing the number of viable cells that colonize in the intestine.10
- B. subtilis is able to inhibit the growth of many foodborne pathogens, including Salmonella Enteritidis, Salmonella Typhimurium, Escherichia coli, Bacillus cereus, Staphylococcus aureus, Listeria monocytogenes, and Vibrio cholerae, thus decreasing the likelihood of food poisoning.11
- B. subtilis is able to activate nearly all systems of the human immune defense, including tumor necrosis factor-α, interleukin-10, and IgA secretion, which are highly effective against many of the harmful viruses, fungi, and bacterial pathogens that regularly attempt to invade and infect the human system.12
- This unique strain also provides unmatched anti-inflammatory action in the colon, with research showing the ability to decrease both bowel and systemic inflammation.13
- Research shows that this unique strain is able to dramatically reduce the amount of five separate plaque forming bacteria in the mouth, helping to naturally reduce plaque formation.14
- Another interesting study demonstrated the ability of Lactobacillus salivarius to significantly decrease chronic halitosis (bad breath) and to decrease gum sensitivity.15
- For those who are predisposed to periodontal disease, in a separate study researchers stated, “Our results indicate that probiotics [Lactobacillus salivarius] could be useful in the improvement/maintenance of oral health in subjects at a high risk of periodontal disease.”16
This proprietary kiwifruit extract has a variety of unique properties that strongly support the health benefits of Pro-X10.
- Actazin provides powerful pre-biotic activity. It has the unique ability to selectively feed only the bacteria known to enhance a healthy gut.17 This is an advantage over most other prebiotics that feed both the good and bad bacteria.
- One of the most interesting functions of Actazin™ is its ability to possibly support the regeneration of gut-lining cells, as well as to enhance gut lining protection. This means that even if the gut lining has been damaged by exposure to harmful compounds, including dangerous wheat fragments like gluten, Actazin™ shows strong promise in being able to help heal the damage and return the gut to normal function.18
- Kiwifruit has been shown in research to enhance gut motility, as well as gastric emptying and mixing of food in the stomach, helping to improve regularity in healthy adults as well as those with IBS issues. This laxative effect is unique in that it does not appear to cause gas or bloating, which is common with other fiber laxatives.19,20
Patented Allergen-Free Manufacturing Process
In our manufacturing process for the production of our probiotic blend, we utilized a patented technology that guarantees the production of allergen-free strains. We use this process to produce Certified Allergen-Free Probiotics (free of all potential allergens as identified in Annex IIIa of the Directive 2003/89/EC [European Standard]) by avoiding use of any potential allergen in the probiotic strain and finished product formulations.
This strategy guarantees safe probiotic supplementation for all, even individuals with food allergies and/or food intolerances.